Posts

TV5 employees threaten general strike after talks end in deadlock

Image
  Mahigit sa 700 na empleyado ng TV5 ang nagbabalak magkaroon ng tigil-trabaho. Ito ay matapos ng deadlock sa usapin ng collective bargaining agreement (CBA) sa pagitan ng unyon ng mga empleyado at ng management ng istasyon noong nakaraang buwan. Ayon sa ulat ng  Manila Bulletin  noong Linggo, December 15, 2019 nag-file ng notice of strike ang Associated Broadcasting Company Employees Union (ABCEU) noong Biyernes, December 13, 2019 sa Department of Labor and Employment (DoLE). Ito ay dahil hindi raw umusad ang pag-uusap ng unyon at ng management tungkol sa "non-economic provisions" ng kanilang CBA, partikular na sa "job security." Sa CBA meeting ng unyon at management noong November 11, hindi nagkasundo ang dalawang kampo tungkol sa inihaing plano na baguhin ang pangalan ng ilang departamento at posisyon. Tingin ng management ay hindi akmang pag-usapan ang tungkol sa naturang plano noong pagpupulong ng araw na yun. Ngunit iginiit ng unyon na pag-usapan ang bagong pa...

TV5 Workers File Notice of Strike

Image
Around 700 workers from a major television station is now threatening to hold a work stoppage after a deadlock marred its collective bargaining agreement (CBA) negotiations last month. In a statement, the Associated Broadcasting Company Employees Union (ABCEU), a labor union of TV5, filed a notice of strike before the Department of Labor and Employment (DoLE) last Friday after its talks with its management on the non-economic provisions of its CBA bogged down, particularly on job security. This comes after TV5 management opposed the inclusion of its initiative to rename some of its department and positions saying the scheduled CBA meeting last November 11 is not the venue for such discussion. ABCEU, however, insisted on taking up the new policy since it claimed TV5 could use the provision to indiscriminately source out its manpower needs from third party service providers. “They will declare the previous positions within the said departments as redundant and ask them (workers holding t...

TV5 workers ask DOLE to stop retrenchment

Image
MANILA, Philippines – The TV5 worker unions have filed a complaint before the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) in a bid to stop the network’s retrenchment program, which will affect some 700 employees. In a complaint filed before the DOLE’s National Conciliation and Mediation Board on October 5, 2018 the ABC-5 Employees Union claimed the network committed “unfair labor practices.” This is the 4th complaint filed against TV5 management in less than 2 years, they said. “The issues consist of mass termination of employment, lockout, Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) violation on retrenchment pay, bargaining in bad faith/refusal to negotiate a new CBA, among others,” said the groups. The management notified some 700 employees last October 1, 2018 that their employment will be terminated after November 15, 2018. The notice further stated that all workers are no longer required to report for work thereafter. The retrenchment, according to the management, is part of efforts to cu...

TV5 employees nagpapasaklolo sa DOLE

Image
M ANILA, Philippines - Nagpapasaklolo sa De­partment of Labor and Employment (DOLE) ang daan-daang empleyado ng TV5 na masisibak upang mapigilan ang pag­tanggal sa kanila sa trabaho sa Nobyembre 15, 2018 bunsod ng pagsasapribado matapos na kunin ni Manuel V. Pangilinan ng TV5 ang 34 na porsiyentong sapi sa Kapatid network. Sa ginanap na Balitaan sa Tinapayan, hiniling ni Enrico Latina Jr., presidente ng ABC 5 Employees Unions at secretary general ng National Alliance of Broadcasters Union o NABU, na magpalabas ng status quo order ang DOLE National Conciliation and Mediation Board (NCMB) upang maharang ang re­trenchment sa 700 ka­wani ng TV5. Aniya, hindi dapat payagan ng DOLE ang management na ipatupad ang retrenchment hanggang walang nabubuong agreement. “Dapat staus quo muna lahat wala munang tatanggalin hanggang wa­lang agreement, tutal may mga willing namang umalis,” sabi ni Latina kasabay ang pahayag na ang CBA ng TV5 ay ginawa na ring model ng ibang TV network. Iginiit n...

Akbayan joins TV5 unions' march to Mendiola, calls for suspension of retrenchment

Image
A kbayan Party expressed its solidarity and strong support for the workers unions of TV5, the ABC 5 Employees’ Unions (ABC EU/ Rank-and-file Union), today, as the unions led labor groups on a march to Mendiola to protest their impending retrenchment. Labeling the 700 workers “public servants” for having worked for TV5 in its operations as a public broadcasting agency, Akbayan Representative Walden Bello joined his voice with that of workers to demand that management suspend the retrenchment of workers and that it be made accountable for violations. “Akbayan is one with the TV5 unions in their fight. We will not allow TV5 management to abuse workers who provided the backbone of their operations, workers who served in the interest of the Filipino people,” Akbayan Representative Walden Bello said. According to Akbayan Rep. Walden Bello, management’s decision to retrench workers was done “in utter bad faith and blatant disregard to the welfare of workers,” especially after it signed a memo...

Senators slam TV5 for not paying employees

Image
Updated November 27, 2018 - 12:00am MANILA, Philippines - Senate President Pro Tempore JV Ejercito, Sen. Risa Hontiveros, Sen. Franklin Drilon, Sen. Bam Aquino, Sen. Kiko Pangilinan, Sen. Leila de Lima and Sen. Panfilo Lacson raised concerns yesterday over the failure of the government to fully compensate some employees of the defunct ABC-5 and RPN-9 television. Ejercito, Hontiveros, Drilon, Aquino, Pangilinan, De Lima and Lacson questioned the officials of the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) under Secretary Martin Andanar, who was defending their P1.312-billion budget for next year before the Senate. Speaking through finance committee chairman Sen. Franklin Drilon, PCOO executives explained that there were 713 TV5 employees were served notices of retrenchment through the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) on Oct. 1, 2018. “It is basically a retrenchment due to the continued financial losses incurred,” Drilon explained. According to Drilon and Hontiveros, RP...

Govt admits retrenched TV5 employees not given full separation pay

Image
I t was revealed Monday, during the plenary deliberation on the budget of the Presidential Communications Operations Office that the government was unable to pay in full the separation benefits of the 713 retrenched employees of Associated Broadcasting Company (TV5). “Not all the benefits, admittedly, were paid to the extent that they should be, simply because there were not enough cash to pay the claims,” Sen. Risa Hontiveros, who is defending the budget on behalf of PCOO replied. He said TV5 has P300 million to P500 million accumulated losses. It also incurred a capital deficiency of more than P4 billion. PCOO head Martin Andanar was beside Drilon during the deliberation. TV5 is under the supervision of the MediaQuest Holdings, Inc., even though the private has only a 100 percent share in the network. Cignal TV, Inc. owns 34 percent, while 32 percent belongs to MVP Group of Companies and the rest of the shares belong to other stockholders Sen. Hontiveros said one of the principal ben...